The four political parties, Al Joumhouri, Attakattol, Afek Tounes and the democratic current, issued a joint statement, on the occasion of the passage of 50 days since the declaration made by the President of the Republic to freeze the parliament and the exceptional measures.
The parties lament the passage of 50 days, in total ambiguity and the absence of a roadmap to fight embezzlement and to install a competent government capable of confronting the challenges of the moment.
- The parties confirm their categorical opposition to suspend the constitution and call on the president to respect his oath to protect this constitution.
- The parties refuse the accumulation of powers among the president’s maize and are surprised at the continued vacancy in the presidency of the government and call for the choice of a prime minister able to cope with the demands of the socio-economic situation.
- The parties denounce attacks on rights and freedoms, including military trials for civilians and attacks on freedom of the press, making the President of the Republic accountable for these overruns.
- The parties pledge to continue the collaboration between themselves and the country’s vital forces, for the defence of democracy against embezzlement, to put an ending to the current vagueness, and to push the authorities to realize the expectations of the citizens.
- The parties decline, ultimately, any unilateral decision-making, and call for a broad consultation, to lead the state democratically.