- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- Juice of half a lemon
- 400g Akkawi cheese (or Halloumi)
- 400g fresh mozzarella cheese
- 500g Knafeh dough
- 250g melted butter
- 100g ghee
- 3g deep orange food colouring
- 100g spreadable butter
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar and water and let cook for 10 minutes. Add the lemon juice and cook for 3 more minutes. Leave to cool.
- To prepare the knafeh dough, tear by hand into shorter strands. Make sure to spread the butter evenly and rub the dough together to make sure it absorbs the butter.
- Combine the ghee, spreadable butter, and food colouring and grease the tray with it. It is important to use spreadable butter, as it is mixed with some vegetable oil, giving it a higher smoking point and therefore keeping the knafeh from burning.
- Press the dough evenly in the tray, reserving a little to go over the cheese.
- Spread the cheese evenly. The best way to do this without ruining the dough layer is to make small patties out of the cheese, distribute them evenly, avoiding the edges, and then press them over the dough.
- Sprinkle the remaining dough over the cheese.
- If you are making on a gas burner, set it to medium heat and continuous turn the tray over the fire. Make sure you are wearing an oven mitt, as the tray will get really hot. The process will take about 20 minutes. You want to keep turning until the cheese starts to melt. Don’t overcook it, otherwise, the cheese will be rubbery and tough. Cover for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to continue to melt, then turn over onto the serving tray.
- Alternatively, if you are making it in the oven, once you’ve done the dough layer, bake on 180C/160C fan for 10 minutes. Then add the cheese layer and bake for another 10 minutes. Cover for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to continue to melt, and then turn over onto the serving tray.
- While the knafeh is still hot, ladle the cooled syrup over the hot knafeh. Let the knafeh absorb the syrup for a few minutes
What's happening in Tunisia?
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for updates.