World

Suspected Islamist militia kills at least 17 in northeastern Congo

Suspected Islamist fighters killed at least 17 people in an early morning raid on a village in northeastern Congo on Monday, a local civil society leader and a monitoring organisation said, the latest attack in a recent surge in violence.

At around 5 a.m. local time the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), who claim a loose affiliation with the Islamic State group, attacked the village of Makutano in Ituri province, around 100 km southwest of the city of Bunia, said Gili Gotabo, a civil society leader in Irumu territory.

“They fired several shots in the air. When the population was fleeing, they captured some people and cut them up with machetes,” he said.

Kivu Security Tracker (KST), a research initiative that maps unrest in the region, confirmed the attack and put the death toll at 17, although Gotabo said many more were killed.

Local authorities declined to comment.

The ADF have killed hundreds of people since late October last year when the army began an operation to oust them from their bases near the Ugandan border. The fighting has hampered efforts to end an Ebola epidemic.

While the insurgents, who are originally from Uganda, have pledged allegiance to Islamic State and the group has endorsed some attacks by the ADF, researchers say there is no evidence of close collaboration.

Following two months of relative quiet, the area has seen a rise in violent ADF attacks in the last three weeks, KST said in a statement to Reuters.

“It’s not entirely clear yet why this surge is taking place. It is very clear, however, that the ADF hasn’t been dismantled at any point,” it said.

The redeployment of army units further north as well as moral and financial fatigue may have given the ADF more space to operate, it added.

R

Leave a Comment
Share
Published by
R

Recent Posts

There is nothing there but penguins… Trump’s tariffs target two completely uninhabited islands in Australia!

The Guardian reported that the trade war initiated by U.S. President Donald Trump targeted a…

9 minutes ago

Things are improving, Sonia Dahmani ends her hunger strike

Lawyer and columnist Sonia Dahmani ended her hunger strike on Thursday, April 3, a drastic…

14 minutes ago

Tunisians withdrew more than 680 million dinars during the week preceding Eid

The month of Ramadan and the celebrations of Eid El-Fitr in Tunisia were marked by…

17 minutes ago

Turkey: Israel threat to regional stability

The Turkish Foreign Ministry issued a statement on Thursday to slam Israel as "the greatest…

22 minutes ago

Specialized in Landmine Planting and Bombing… Preliminary Verdict Sentences Terrorist to Death

The Criminal Division Specialized in Terrorism Cases at the Court of Appeals in Tunis recently…

6 heures ago

List of Arab Countries and the New Tariffs Imposed by Trump

Last Wednesday, U.S. President Donald Trump revealed the imposition of global counter-tariffs during an event…

6 heures ago

This website uses cookies.