The government decided on Friday, May 7, 2021, in consultation with the scientific committee to battle Covid-19, new measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Therefore it was decided the impose the following measures:
- A general Lockdown of 7 days from May 9 to 16
Government spokeswoman Hasna Ben Slimene on her part announced measures applicable during the period of the Lockdown:
- Curfew from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Prohibition of travel between regions except in authorized cases
- Ban on gatherings
- Halt of prayers
- Closure of daily and weekly markets and shops except for shops selling food products
- Compulsory Quarantine for travellers arriving from abroad
Prime minister Hichem Mechichi emphasised in his speech the necessity to respect health measures and the urgency to resort to more rigorous measures given the gravity of the health situation.
“COVID-19 are not only figures, they are destroyed families, lost families, ICU services that include many members of the same family, many of whom will eventually pass away. It is also a health care system on the verge of collapse and a tired and depressed medical workforce. We are there because for one reason or another the measures were not respected if some do not see a problem to contaminate their close relations and their parents, it is my responsibility not to let it be ” he assures.