SITUATION AT THE FRONT
- On October 17, the Defence Forces of Ukraine attacked enemy airfields in the temporarily occupied Berdiansk and Luhansk with ATACMS missiles.
- After long diplomatic efforts, Ukraine received ATACMS missiles from the US. The first use of ATACMS has already demonstrated the impressive performance of this weapon. It destroyed Russian combat helicopters, special equipment, an air defence launch unit, an ammunition depot, and Russian troops.
- Ukraine can carry out high-precision strikes on other targets far in the enemy-controlled area. The Russian aggressor does not have an effective means against strikes by this type of weapon.
- Long-range missiles are capable of changing the course of hostilities and bringing Ukraine’s victory closer.
UKRAINE’S RELATIONS WITH THE GLOBAL SOUTH
- Defending its freedom, Ukraine is fighting for justice and security for all countries and peoples of the world. The victory of Ukraine will mean the restoration of the effectiveness of international law and the defeat of neocolonialism.
- Ukraine is making great efforts to establish partnerships with the countries of Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Latin America.
- Ukrainians are watching the escalation of the conflict in the Gaza Strip with concern and pain. Ukraine strongly condemns terrorism and the killing of civilians. Ukraine sincerely supports the cessation of violence in the Middle East and the restoration of peace.
UKRAINE’S CONTRIBUTION TO GLOBAL FOOD SECURITY
- October 16 is World Food Day.
- Ukraine is one of the world’s largest producers of agricultural products and is a traditional exporter of food in an affordable price category. Ukrainian food is supplied to those in need around the world as part of humanitarian programmes.
- Russian military aggression is causing massive damage to the agricultural sector, undermining Ukraine’s ability to supply affordable food to foreign markets. Russia blocks the seaports of Ukraine, attacks the port infrastructure, deliberately destroys granaries to prevent Ukrainian exports.
- Despite the withdrawal of Russia from the grain deals and the blockade, Ukraine is making significant efforts to continue supplying food to foreign markets.
SUCCESSES IN THE FUNCTIONING OF THE NEW GRAIN CORRIDOR
- Since September 2023, more than 30 vessels have used the new sea corridor laid by Ukraine.
- The successes of the new grain corridor demonstrate that Russia was an unnecessary link in the Black Sea Grain Initiative. Negotiations on Russia’s return to the “grain agreements” from which it withdrew by itself no longer make sense. The successful functioning of the new grain corridor became possible thanks to the Defence Forces of Ukraine, who pushed the Russian fleet out of the northwestern Black Sea.